Sunday, June 9, 2013

Adding Tape Math

This year at school I really took a hard look at my math manipulatives.   I began to wonder if all the math manipulatives I was holding on to were worth the space.  When I saw my adding tape sitting there waiting for the 100th day of school I thought...NO WAY!
That little bundle of joy must come out more often!  Waiting on the 100th day for that thrilling activity is just CRAZY! (I assume you also let your students write their numbers to 100 on the 100th day???)

Well I began putting out an adding tape tub and allowing my first graders to come up with a pattern.


 As you know this is easy for some, but most need a tad more direction than that....So I created cards to stick in the tub that would give them an objective and would build week to week through the year.
Then I added cards that say things like:
Circle all the even numbers.
Put a square around the 10s. 
Circle 5's.


 I just added this to my store.  If you would like to check it out click the picture below!

18 comments:

  1. What a cool way to practice numbers! My goal for next year is to incorporate more math stations!
    I just added it to my cart.

    BTW--what is the font that you have on your header for your name Tunstall? It is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! What a fabulous idea! Putting it in my teaching vault!

    Polka Dots, Checks and Stripes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love, love! What an excellent addition to math tubs!
    Nicole
    Teaching With Style

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, I was cleaning and packing my room and I came across adding machine tape. Unlike you, I just stuck it in a box. I'm so glad you thought it out and came up with some more ways to use it! Thanks!
    Kelly
    I'm Not Your Grandpa, I'm Your Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a GREAT idea!!! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super idea! I need more of these simple math centers:)

    Tammy
    The Resourceful Apple

    ReplyDelete
  7. I use adding tape a lot but I have them write the numbers vertically instead of horizontally. That way, patterns in the ones and tens place become much more visible and you don't have to worry about leaving spaces between the numbers so it doesn't look like one big number instead of a series. I always give them the adding tape in the first week of school as a pre-assessment. You get so much information from looking at it and the kids LOVE it.

    ❤ Karen
    flamingofab@gmail.com
    Flamingo Fabulous in Second Grade

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea! I can easily adapt this for my 4th graders.

    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. Definitely going to use it to make number lines in 3rd grade rounding.

      Delete
  9. I love all of your ideas! Your kids are so lucky to have you.
    Kids Math Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I really love this. The easy "I can" statements, the simple concept and the ease of tracking pupil progress are all great features of these tasks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We have been using adding tape this week. We love it! The picture of the task cards does not lead to the product. Can you please tell me where I can find it?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete