Monday, February 4, 2013

Prepping Penguins!

Today was our kick off to our penguin unit!  I can tell you that the kids are passionate already about these popular poultry!  (I googled and they really are poultry!)

To prep, I ripped some butcher paper printed penguin images of the 6 we will study, and threw down some markers!  Ready for the picture walk.  (aka museum walk) I did not glue my pictures down or anything.  Trying to keep it simple!
I threw on some classy mood music (thank you dollar store) and let students get up and walk around to each table. 

Then when the music is turned off they know to find a table with a marker available and either write a question about something they see or an observation.







Then it was time to prep penguin folders!  We will be gathering data on each penguin, and we need a safe place to store it!
 Each child made a penguin for their penguin folder.


 I put our tree map (grid) of the 6 penguins we will study as well as what facts we will collect on each penguin.  This brought on a lot of speculation!  They are already making predictions!

Finally, I showed a quick Antarctic video.  The one I showed was off of United Streaming which is paid for by our school, but it was similar to the one I found below.  The beginning is great for our students... the great Antarctic footage is just too great to pass up!


17 comments:

  1. Love your picture walk! I have never tried anything like that before, but can see my students doing a good job with it. Thanks for sharing,
    Maria
    First Grade Carousel

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love the museum walk that you do to introduce a unit. I am going to try it with my first graders. Thanks for the idea!
    Alyce

    Mrs. Bartel’s School Family

    ReplyDelete
  3. We just finished studying about penguins. My kiddos loved it! Your penguin tree map is a great idea. I will be adding that idea to my penguin unit for next year! Thanks for sharing.

    Sharon McBee
    Buggy for First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like they will be having a lot of fun with penguins!
    Journey of a Substitute Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great way to introduce, get them thinking, and talking! You made me a better teacher today! Thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like the picture/museum walk idea! They came up with some great questions and observations!

    Sara :)
    Smiling In Second Grade

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE the picture/museum walk! Thanks for sharing - it really gets me thinking about the possibilities!!!
    :) :) :)
    Growing Firsties

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing the picture walk idea--love it!!! I also really love your lamps in the background. :) So homey-feeling!!

    Happy Tuesday!
    Erin

    Little Miss Primary

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just love it when I see photos of your kids' picture walks. Such an awesome way to engage them! I've tried it with my 30... but there are just SO many bodies moving in such a tight space. Makes me a little nuts. I love it so much - I need to make it work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the idea of using the picture/museum walk. It helps to get all those learning styles involved in the lesson. I know these little people are going to have a fabulous time with this unit! Great to see students so involved in what they are studying!

    Dee
    Mrs. B's Nook

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the museum walk idea! I'm totally stealing that!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this idea. It can be used for a lot of things!!! I'm definitely stealing it :)

    adventuresofroom129.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Too totally cute! Melt me heart...

    Amy Howbert
    Little Miss Organized
    amyhowbert1@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really love the picture walk/questioning activity!! It's a must do!
    ❤Teri
    A Cupcake for the Teacher

    ReplyDelete