Wednesday, March 21, 2012

First Grade Fashions and Academics Too!

Back from Spring Break and we are B-U-S-Y!
Here's what we are up to this week.

In writing we are working on organizing.   

We started with a scrambled sentence.
 They quickly gained confidence while telling me how to put this sentence together!  They've been doing this in word work too so it was a quick little reminder and anticipatory set.
Then after our one sentence was organized, we took on a decent piece of writing and made it better by adding some organization.  The one on the left is what we started with.  The one on the right is the result of our reading, rearranging, and discussing.  
 
  We made sure the sentence beginnings were varied. (as much as possible with the example given)  We also made sure it had a closing sentence that reflected what the topic was about.  

The next day we took a story that really needed some organization in order to make sense. (There was a terrible storm the night before so I used that as our example)
The scrambled story
 We talked about using the WHOLE line from left to right. Cutting the sentence strip to fit the entire line was a big eye opener for some of the kids that want to use a new line for every new sentence.  (Sorry about my contorted arm...ew gross)
We read and re read until the story made sense. 
 Each day no matter how big or small our focus lesson is, they get a chance to write for 15 minutes.
storm writing
Driving home to Texas from Louisiana
For more about teaching writing click {Here}

Next we began studying about THE MOON
(I was going to launch into living things, but we switched it all up)

These are some of the books I am using for our MOON study.

I pretended that NASA called the classroom and was interested in taking one first grade class to the moon.  They had to decide RIGHT NOW if they were going or not!!!  It was oscar worthy I am sure of it. 
We graphed our responses.

One of our writing and art projects for the moon is coming up next week.  This is my daughter's from first grade.  (That wasn't 5 years ago...NO WAY!) 


Directions for the project:

Day One  Paint a moon (on card stock or construction paper) by using white paint and adding a little black to make gray.  We also sponge some texture on when it is dry. (a lighter shade of gray)

*Or if you are not the painting kind ...Gray paper crumpled up and flattened out makes a good textured moon as well.

Day Two:  Let students paint or color their rocket ship.  Keep the window black so their pictures really stand out.  Glitter the fire if you like! 

Day Three:  Attach head, titles, and writing.
Click the graphics below to download.
Next, we kicked off our geometry unit with our March quilt.  It was a great way to come back from Spring Break. 
 The back wall of our room.  I can't believe it has already been 7 months of the school year!

And now...presenting the most fashion forward first grader I have ever seen in 15 years.  These pictures are only the last two days.  If you could ONLY SEE the wardrobe of this girl.  I am pretty sure I haven't seen an outfit duplicated...I finally hunted her mom down casually asked about this particular child's clothes and shoes and she said they go online and get her clothes.  Mom said student is very particular about how she puts her clothes together and what mom should order.   This girl has definitely got a future in fashion.    You should see her sketches. 


You should have seen Monday's shoes...oh. my. goodness. I am SO sad that I didn't take a picture.  She brings a change of shoes for PE and sometimes recess.  I would NEVER let anyone do this normally as I am the dreamsquasher, but she is such a good student and she quietly walks over and handles her "quick change" without any of us knowing (seriously I didn't catch on for awhile) so I just let it slide.  I will have to keep better tabs on her outfits for us all.  She is getting major internet deals too because her family is totally normal.

Oh wow...am I really done with this ridiculusly long post?
 Good night! I am off to order some rockin acid washed jeggings and Spring sandals while I watch Survivor!

19 comments:

  1. LOVING the sentence strips/don't start a new line/sentence VISUAL!!!!! Must do this IMMEDIATELY! IT'S GENIUS!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Love your daughter's project -- was she in your class as a first grader???!
    Do you only have 17 kids? Have we not talked about this before?
    Your styling first grader needs to come be my fashion guru.
    A Teeny Tiny Teacher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No my daughter was in my friend's class. :) But we all did the same stuff together. Her teacher was really artsy and really changed the way I do my projects. Now I go ALL IN!

      Delete
  2. ok....ummm...I am SOOO jealous of your painted walls - it looks like are in a beige prison! lol.
    Do you know that we don't have a cloud OR umbrella die cut for the April quilt?!?! ugh....

    ♥ Jen
    The Teacher's Cauldron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I added die cuts to the quilts back after you first bought it. Just redownload from TPT and they will be there. :)

      Delete
  3. I love your sentence organizing!! And that girl IS fashion forward! Love her shoes!
    ❤Teri
    A Cupcake for the Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the writing!! (and wow, those are some awesome outfits!)
    Jennifer
    First Grade Blue SKies

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Great post. You have lots of yummy info to share!

    ❀Barbara❀
    Grade ONEderful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara...how do you get those cute flowers around your name??? I just really noticed them..hehehe

      Michelle

      The 3AM Teacher

      Delete
  6. I alwyas did sentence organization with my Kinders! Teaching writing and sentence structure is so crucial!! When I taught 7th grade LA, I was surprised by the amount of students who could NOT write a complete sentence...YIKES. I had a ton of fun with those kiddos though because they were very eager to learn!

    There is always at least one fashionista in the class, but I once had a boy, Keoni, who only wore suits...hehehe...he also made sure to wear cologne. He was a really good student!!

    Have a great rest of the night (well, I am not sure what time zone you are in, but it is 6pm in Arizona at the moment).

    I am also having a giveaway if you want to check it out. The winner will get something very unique!!

    Michelle

    The 3AM Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  7. My firsties are having SUCH a hard time understanding the concept of a sentence. I'm doing this FOR SURE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh my, some of my first graders are WAY more fashion forward than me...hands down.

    Holly
    Crisscross Applesauce in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  8. At one of your bloggy meet-ups, I think you said something about hooker boots??!!??? We need pictures of those next time! :D

    We have a dress code and at times I am very grateful for that...until we get into teacher shoes!!!!

    As always, I love all that you share! =)

    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the sentences and quilts! Really love that back wall! It looks like home! Know your kiddos love it, too!


    Laura
    Peace, Love, and First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love cutting the sentence and LOVE the quilts!
    Rowdy in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  11. Totally jealous of your painted wall and matching carpet.
    That little fashion icon is a first grader? Wow.
    ❤Traci❤
    Dragonflies in First

    ReplyDelete
  12. OK be still my heart...
    ONE- the storm... don't remind me...AFRAID OF STORMS
    TWO- YAY a first grade teacher teaching WRITING!!!! kiss you
    THREE- FASHIONABLE FIRSTIE.... AWESOME!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Everything looks great! I love your space activity and I totally need to do your sentence activity. Thanks for sharing!
    Sarah
    Sarah's First Grade Snippets

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved the writing minilesson ideas! I do a lot of organizing sentences but not the whole story. I will have to do this when I go back!
    Erin
    FanaticaboutFirst

    ReplyDelete
  15. The quilts on your wall are great. Your room looks so cozy and comfortable. And...your fashionista needs to come revamp my wardrobe :)

    Jodi
    fun-in-first.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I want your house!!!! Would you trade for a basic 3 bedroom 2 bath in Silicon Valley, CA?

    ReplyDelete