Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Write on the Money?

If I had to say two standards that are the most difficult for young children (I am generalizing of course) I would have to say writing and money!  Over the last few weeks (ok the entire year) I have really tried to amp up my teaching of these two things.

But when my kiddos are shouting out across the room that they got a match and counting their coins I am pretty excited!!! Check these cuties out.
Also having a coin reference spot in the room is really helping.  I will put my reference wall out as a freebie soon.  I am not on the computer that has that file or I would do it now!!
They use it CONSTANTLY.  They still need to check themselves on quarters and nickels the most.
Right now I am somewhere between phasing out February Math Tubs and beginning March Math Tubs....I took some pictures today.









Writing:
We are in the midst of a Book Study on The Emperor's Egg.  They ROCKED their penguin fact writing today!!! They love knowing there is a rubric and they can earn the TOP score.  I may have heard...is this a 4? about 50 times as I circled around taking pictures!






Maybe I need to make a rubric for their daily writing.  Does anyone have a daily writing rubric? Do they stay motivated?  I guess that's why I love book studies so much.  It's an elevated writer's workshop to me.  Thoughts? Opinions?....I really am curious!  I have to break up our regular writer's workshop with my book studies.  About one a month.  Then we go back to our regularly scheduled writer's workshop time!  It seems to be working.

  Do you hoard their writing?  Do you make a portfolio?  I would love to get ideas for end of year...yes I just typed end of year!!!  Mine is a compilation of the year's writing and art projects.  When I put it together, I will do a post about it and show what I do to put it together.

Let me know what you do!


16 comments:

  1. I wanted to send you a shout-out and let you know I enjoy your blog. I would like to award you the One Lovely Blog Award. You can view your award over at my blog at: http://homegrownheartsacademy.blogspot.com/

    Happy homeschooling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is awesome that your kids are getting money as a concept!! YAY!
    Jennifer

    First Grade Blue SKies

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWESOME! Your kids are so darn adorable. They look so happy learning. LOVE IT ALL!

    Lyndsey
    A Year of Many Firsts

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute kids! Congrats on the money and writing success!

    Have you seen this writing rubric before? http://firstgradelyonsden.blogspot.com/2011/09/look-into-writers-workshop.html

    I originally found it on Pinterest. It looks super easy for kids to visualize what a 4 really looks like. I think it would be easy to tweak for any grade level too.

    I keep all their benchmark writing papers and send them in their portfolio for second grade. I also keep one sample a month in a hanging file folder crate organized from August-May. Each student has their own folder. I share it all with parents at fall and spring conferences. Sometimes I pick the piece, and sometimes I let my kids pick one they are really proud of. We also "clean out" our writing folders once a month, make a book and decorate a cover, and send it home to share with their families.

    Thanks for your post. Love your book study! Emperor's Egg is in my cart for tomorrow's sale!!

    Melanie
    First Grade Brain Sprinkles

    ReplyDelete
  5. Once again... I want to teach littles!!! Your stuff is THO AWESOME!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to keep a portfolio. And then my class size went up. And I drowned in it.
    SO! Now I send their weekly writing assigment home each week. If we're doing something for a bulletin board, they go through the whole writing process and make a final draft to hang up.
    I am boring.
    A Teeny Tiny Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  7. We've been working like crazy on money lately. Such a hard concept.

    I did a post on what I do weekly for dictation each week. These 5 points are also what I use for every other "everyday" type of writing assignment. It covers the basics and makes it easy to do a quick grade. PLUS, it's easy to post those 5 points and demand, I mean remind them, that they MUST have those things.
    Dragonflies in First

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree, money is so hard for first graders!!

    However, my second graders are AAAAAAAAMAZING at money. I want to talk to their teacher last year and see how in the world she did it.

    Marvelous Multiagers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your kiddos look so engaged and excited! I love it! I do keep a writing portfolio for each of my kid's original writing samples (I make copies to hang on the writing wall and then to send home.) At the end of the year, I put their first writing sample next to their last writing sample in their portfolio so they can see how much they've grown. I also have them record themselves reading their writing on the iPod touches after they finish a prompt. When I sync them, their recordings go to their smart playlist. Then, at the end of the year, I burn each kiddo a copy of their playlist to put with their writing portfolio...they have a CD of them reading their writing to keep forever. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Money sure is hard! I use to keep portfolios too but now we just save certain pieces in our binders and the rest goes home. I love the idea of recording their reading. When do you find time to do it all?

    2B Honey Bunch
    The Best Endings

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have to say... I LOVE your Feb centers! I purchased them and enjoyed them. Easy prep, great activities, and my kids were engaged. I can't wait to see what you have in store for March!
    Mary
    sharingkindergarten.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Reagan -

    Your blog continues to amaze me so I'm giving you the One Lovely Blog award . . . come on by the Corner on Character to grab the graphic and pass it along if you can. Thanks for your HEART work!

    Barbara
    The Corner On Character

    ReplyDelete
  14. I absolutely agree that money and writing are so difficult! I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels this way :)

    I don't keep too much of their writing. I have one (maybe two) good writing sample from each quarter. My students have a rubric for writing paragraphs that they become familiar with from the beginning of the year that has them look at staying on topic, punctuation, capitalization, and length.

    Lisa

    Stories from Room 114

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really, really want that reference wall printable you did! I love it and we could totally use it at the Moffatt Girls house! You have such a FUN room, Reagan!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just LOVE that money reference wall!!! Please, please, please let us know when you post it on TPT soon! :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete